Monday 7 May 2012

Fabrics

I am not designing a Zero-Waste collection, however I am looking at making it a sustainable one - using sustainable and natural fabrics wherever possible.

The label KowTow, are a great example of susatainability and good ethics. The company only uses Ceritifeid fair trade Organic Cotton for their garments which "ethically and sustainably made".  The label produces a range of basics or 'building blocks' designed to layer up and wear in different ways.

My collection features a range of basic singlets, tees and long sleeves which are for layering, these will all be made of Certified fair trade Organic Cotton and New Zealand Merino Wool. I believe it is important that the clothes we wear most and own the most of (the layering garments) are ones that are made of great feeling natural fibres and are made in sustainable and ethical ways - so that we feel good about wearing them. Organic Cotton knits are soft and comfortable against the skin and easy to wear in both summer and winter. New Zealand Merino Wool is an absolute essential for winter; it is comfortable and cosy and being "Made in New Zealand" means the wearer can feel good about supporting the New Zealand Wool Industry. As well as the basics, the knitwear will also be made of New Zealand Wool or Wool Blends.

For more information about where I will source the wool http://www.nzmerino.co.nz/
For more information about KowTow, Organic Fairtrade http://www.nzmerino.co.nz/


I am aware that having garments made in New Zealand with Natural and Organic fabrics can be very expensive. This is why I have chosen to have the pieces worn most often, and purchased most regularly made here, organically. I think this means that I will have to compromise the fabrics and making of some of the other pieces in my collection. I would love for it all to be made in New Zealand, but in order to keep my prices lower and at a mass market scale I will need to compromise. To use 100% silk for the pants and dresses would be ideal, but this is expensive so I will investigate using silk blends or synthetic fibres that don't do too much harm to the environment.

It will all be a matter of what is available, how much it costs and what I, as a designer must have, and what I can design and can live without...compromising!

No comments:

Post a Comment